Thursday, April 19, 2012

Where did the time go?

As you may have noticed, I didn't go to Newfoundland last year (2011).

last year was a whirlwind of activity in life.  some good, some bad, some ugly.  Let's just say I wasn't really ready mentally, physically or emotionally to take on another trip.  I had planned on going but due to a surgery I had been waiting over 2 years for.  I had a sublingual gland removed due to a stone stuck in the saliva duct.  This caused great pain over the years.  The earliest recollection i have with a saliva blockage was when I was 14. 

I think it was good I didn't go last year.  I wasn't ready. Beast wasn't ready.

Beast is getting a massage at the shop as I type this and I'm now trying to get over an allergic reaction to anti-smoking meds.  I don't know which is worse... the smoking or the allergy.

Either way, the trip is this year.  We've had essentially summer weather already in Ottawa Canada and I am hoping the weather will follow me on my adventure, as I hope you do too.

Mentally I am prepared for this. Physically... well, I'm working on it.  Emotionally... hah. who am i kidding.

As usual, I won't be planning much and hoping to find things along the way.  This is what makes it an adventure!

My journey this year will start very early.  So early in fact that there is normally snow on the road I will be travelling.  SNOW.  I just verified the  highway 389 road conditions and it states "Snow covered".

So with that in mind, I will not plan.  I will prepare. I will adjust.

Here's that route again: 2012 Newfoundland route

I have approximately 6500 KM ... 4000 miles to travel.  It doesn't seem much but keep in mind, I will be fighting possible snow, dodging moose and who knows what else is up there.

I secured three weeks away from work to make this happen.  I have four weeks to departure time. One month.
I think I am a little bit masochistic... that, or 'm trying to prove something to myself and I'm not sure what it is yet.

I almost forgot to add that for the most part of the trip there won't even be cell service.  There may be spotted internet at a few points, but i'm not counting on it.

I'm considering buying a few more gadgets to enhance my experience.
A helmet camera such as a GoPro and possibly a SPOT locator in case I need to be medivac'd out via chopper.

I figure that if I cannot take you along with me through a daily blog, perhaps I can bring my adventure back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment