Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Quotes, Clips and Canada

I'll start off with this:

 “A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” - Lao Tzu

I'm not certain if i'm a good traveler or not... But i always try to stay with the no fixed plans. With this I start, by changing my departure date.

With the weather as unpredictable as it is in North East Canada (Labrador and Newfoundland) it can easily be a blizzard in May, or much above seasonal.  Looking at the historical data of my planned route, it shows that not only would it be slightly dangerous to go in late may by motorcycle but almost certainly suicidal with Snow and the average tempurature.  Example in June 28,1980 there was 11 inches of snow. 

I'm all for adventure, but I do want to ride and somewhat enjoy myself on the journey.  Not everything in life needs to be extremely difficult.  I don't fear snow nor freezing temperatures, the wet rains or the fog but i somewhat dislike pain a great deal..

If there are any Asshats out there who think's I'm a wuss for changing my plans, then I got a message for you.  My trip, My safety, My rules.  Anyone thinks it's easy, you try it yourself... you finance, you become the mechanic, you do it by yourself, for yourself... then see what you think.


The date has been changed to July (due to work scheduling), so now i shouldn't worry about the snow so much.  I may not see the Icebergs and Whales bumping uglies, but should be moderately safer.

I've tested out my GoPro Hero 2 camera mounted on my helmet. Here's a small clip.  I say small because 1 hour of video @ 720p is 4 gig of data.  that's the smallest format the camera takes. Crazy!  I'll have to either have a ton of Memory sticks or put the camera in TimeLapse mode.

out of 4 gigs (1 hour) I took a short 3 minute video into 5 Megs, made it even smaller.  The quality isn't great, but it does show what I see and hear.  The camera is in a waterproof sealed case, i'm surprised it picked up the motor sound so well.



no more planning.  I've got a date (sorta), I have my route (approximately) so now it's time to prepare.  reminder; bring shovel for snow DEET bugspray for the blackflies.


No comments:

Post a Comment