Saturday, May 12, 2012

Gadgets, Technology and prep for the open road

I sometimes think that I may be overdoing the preparation for this trip. I've spent a lot of money on the bike, add--ons to the bike and quite recently a few purchases to make this upcoming trip.  I thought today that I may be spending too much money for these little adventures of mine.

Then I realize that life is so fragile that any one of us could wink out of existence in a sheer moment.



Sure I spent a bit cash recently, but it's better spent on chasing dreams than dragons.  Money is disposable... replaceable.  Dreams and passions can pass you buy and sometimes worth the risk, financially or otherwise.

I remind myself every time that I take a trip that the chances of dying are greater on trips, especially when moose and wilderness is involved,  but I figure that's what the gear and experience will come in handy.

I read from people who have done both the Dalton highway in Alaska and the Trans-Labrador Highway and they say the Trans-Lab is tougher, harder and more dangerous.   Even though I crashed in Alaska on the Dalton, It was on the Suzuki M50 Cruiser and not on a dual-sport machine. so... 50-50 odds?

I think the KLR will change those odds a bit... maybe not much, but a bit.

So to make my life a little more enjoyable and safer, here's the electronic gear I'm bringing this trip.

  • Garmin Zumo 550 GPS
  • Iphone
  • Sena SMH-10 Bluetooth headset
  • HP notebook (gotta update the blog when I can)
  • Go Pro Hero 2 HD (just need the battery backpack)
  • SPOT GPS messenger so you can track my progress, and call in the Helicopter if I crash in a ditch.
excessive? possibly.  Then again, this is my trip and I like the gadgets.

I picked these up for the dirt sections and for rain.  I figure it's better to be safe than not see the road and crash.
 I've been busy updating all the software and firmware.  Now I just have to finish mounting the hardware and I'll take a few pics.  I'd like to chronicle my little journey so I'll be able to remember what I went through.

Next i have to figure out how to:
  • Mount the PIAA's 1100x lights
  • Wire up a 12v socket somehow to charge the Sena headset, Iphone, Go Pro backpack.
I wonder if I'm bringing too much stuff.  Next update will probably be a list of the crap I have to bring.
I have a few different catagories.
  • Camping gear (will be needed as I'm going to try to camp out as much as possible)
  • Electronics (for safety and enjoyment)
  • Tools and spares (tubes, fuses, cables)  <-- the tools i have to trim down a LOT. spares since I won't be able to find any in the bush.
  • Clothing and gear. going lighter this time.  I'll pick up more on the road.
  • Personal stuffs (meds, diary, etc)
the countdown beings



No comments:

Post a Comment